The home of U.S & U.K bestselling true story, Keepers of the Gateway to Hell.


Amazon U.S - Amazon U.K


Monday 29 August 2011

Military Wife Speaks Out About Families


When the men( or women) in  our lives go off to war , the wives and husbands left behind have their own battle to fight. It starts the week before they leave; there’s a tension(with a underlying fear) that falls on the family,and a realisation that you may lose them; never see them again,and all the arguments about the chores they never got around to; getting home late as they had to have one more beer and all their infuriating habits are forgotten.

I was left behind to cope with my daughters tantrums; her crying and rebelling and my eldest boy who withdrew into his room,  these problems can be expected people deal with stress and loss differently and its only natural that the kids missed their father and were frightened for him.

I suddenly found myself having to deal with the stuff that my husband usually dealt with, trying to keep normality in the house hold, literally everything was down to me and like every Military wife /husband i did it,but it was hard as I had to deal with my own feelings of lonliness, worry and the constant fear of the knock on the door with the dreaded news.

Sunday was definitely the worse day for me I suppose it was because Sunday was our day spending it together going for walks in the forest,visiting antique fairs or just lazing around the house cuddling up and watching TV.

The long nights listening out for every noise in case somebody broke in; tip toing downstairs in the dark with a heavy object just to make sure.  Lying in bed not being able to sleep thinking of my partner feeling sad, lonely and in need of a hug.

I was a bit upset and stressed my car had broken down and I had to get it towed home, the same day my son was opening a window it jammed and his hand went  through the glass so I had to deal with that; how do I board up a window?  did my turn as duty nurse sorting out his cut hand. Later that day I spoke to my mother in law explaining to her what had happened just needing a bit of support and she said those imortal words WELL YOU KNEW WHAT YOU WERE GETTING IN TO WHEN YOU MARRIED A MILITARY MAN. No you dont, nothing can prepare you .

My hat goes off to all the men and women left behind,I really believe they should receive a medal recognising the part they play. They keep things running smoothly, so that the fighting men and women can concentrate on their job rather than worrying about their families.

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant post. Poignant, honest, well-written and informative. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete